Co-op Opportunity – Jr Health Data Scientist
Duration: 4 months (May – Aug, 2018)
Catalytics Inc is a Hamilton-based award-winning startup founded in 2017. Catalytics works with hospitals to capture more patient information and reduce delays in providing personalized care through predictive analytics.
In Ontario, 1% of healthcare users account for 34% of healthcare costs, accumulating up to $4.4 billion in spending per year. High healthcare resource utilization is often attributed to a small subset of patients with prevalence of mental illness, substance abuse, and socioeconomic instabilities which are difficult to treat in a hospital setting.
Catalytics Inc is currently working with Hamilton Health Sciences to conduct a retrospective chart review to study the effectiveness and reliability of identifying high-utilizing healthcare patients through analysis of electronic health records. We are interested in hiring talented students who are passionate in data science and in improving the current state of healthcare.
The student will be exposed to health information management, health data analytics (aggregate population-level and basic hospital level) to support decision-making. They’ll also be exposed to ehealth and health information technology in supporting the delivery of care and addressing pressing challenges that North American and European healthcare is facing.
- Students who excel in this position enjoy data-science and are driven by complex problem solving
- Collect, organize, manage, analyze and visualize large datasets
- Able to extrapolate information from unstructured data and identify useful metrics
- Code, test, and document statistical models
- Conduct retrospective chart reviews and implement statistical analysis to evaluate and present findings
- Understanding of data modelling and different data structures
- Experience with one of: Python, R, or MATLAB
- Experience with SQL
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate and work with minimal direction, with proven ability to coordinate complex activities
Eligibility: Mathematics/Statistics, Software Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Science, Life Science, Health Science
Apply: Send CV/Resume + Cover Letter to [email protected]